• TOEFL, formally known as “Test of English as a Foreign Language”, is an English proficiency test for those non-native English speakers who want to study overseas, in English speaking countries.
• It was first administered in 1964
• The TOEFL test is the most widely respected English-language test in the world, recognized by more than 9,000 colleges, universities and agencies in more than 130 countries, including Australia, Canada, the U.K. and the United States. It also stands in need of other English speaking countries.
• It is administered by Educational Testing Services (ETS) and is taken at various locations in India, as Internet Based test.
• TOEFL score is often a benchmark for awarding scholarships
• It is also mandatory for various Government agencies, licensing bodies, businesses and many institutions. TOEFL score is valid for 2 years.
You can give a once-over on the pattern
|Reading||60-80 minutes||36-56 questions||Read 3 or 4 passages from academic texts and answer questions|
|Listening||60-90 minutes||34-51 questions||Listen to lectures, classroom discussions and conversations, then answer questions|
|Speaking||20 minutes||6 tasks||Express an opinion on a familiar topic; Speak based on Reading and listening tasks|
|Wrting||50 minutes||2 tasks||Write essay responses based on reading and listening tasks; support an opinion in writing.|
|Registration||Fees vary by country.|
|Reinstatement of canceled scores||US$20|
|Additional score reports (per institution or agency)||US$19 each|
|Speaking or Writing Section score review||US$80|
|Speaking and Writing Section score review||US$160|
|Returned personal check (paper or electronic)||US$20|
Why Gateway Abroad?
- Experience of more than 10 years in guiding the students to pursue their dreams and fly high in the sky
- cater our students with the best and highly skilled trainers to ensure that students are served to their expectation
- wide network of institutions around the world where 3000+ students have taken admission
- Flexi batch timings and small number of students, so necessary attention can be paid to each and every student and their problems can be solved
- After class one to one session and regular progress monitoring
- Ample course material to enhance your level of English
A. You can register online or by phone or by mail. The detailed information about registering for the TOEFL® can be found at www.toefl.orgQ. How many times in a year is the TOEFL® exam held?
A. TOEFL® is offered on specific days of the year. One can access the whole schedule which can vary depending on the country by following the given link http://www.ets.org/bin/getprogram.cgi?test=toeflQ. Can I take the test in one day?
A. Yes, the test is given in one day. The test takes about 4 hours, but with check-in you should plan to be at the test center for at least 4½ hours.Q. Can I retake the test?
A. Yes, you can retake the test as many times as you wish, but you cannot take it more than once in a 12-day period.
Q. How many times can I take the TOEFL®?
A. TOEFL® can be taken unlimited number of times.
Q. What is the validity of the TOEFL® exam?
A. Your TOEFL® score will be valid for 2 years from the date the test was taken.
Q. How soon do I get my score?
A. The scores are available online 2 weeks after the exam date.
Q. How do I pass on my score to the college?
A. The universities only accept official scores sent directly by ETS. Scores to four colleges can be sent free of cost from the time of TOEFL® registration to 24 hours before the test date. Subsequently, for each score report sent to a college, you would have to pay $19.
Q. What is the test fee refund policy?
A. If you cancel your registration before the 4-day advance deadline, you will receive a refund of half the original test fee you paid. Refunds are in U.S. dollars. Cash refunds are not available.
Q. What are TOEFL test scores like?
A. The TOEFL iBT test provides scores in 4 skill areas — Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing — and a total score:
- Reading 0–30
- Listening 0–30
- Speaking 0–30
- Writing 0–30
- Total Score 0–120
The total score is the sum of the 4 skill scores.
Q. If I take the TOEFL® more than once, which score will be considered by the universities?
A. Almost all the universities consider the best score.
Q. Do I need to have the TOEFL® score at the time of applying to universities?
A. No, you do not need to have the TOEFL® score with you at the time of applying. But you are required to take the TOEFL® before the deadline of the university.
Q. Is the TOEFL® mandatory for applying to undergrad programs outside India?
A. TOEFL® is mandatory for Undergraduate, MS, PhD and most MBA courses across the world.
Q. What is the minimum TOEFL® score that I need?
A. For admission, one has to score over 80 for MS and undergrad programs, over 100 for PhD and MBA courses. Usually a score of 100 is required for students who are looking for financial aid/scholarships.